Thursday, October 31, 2013

Flowers (also obligatory Halloween costume post)



Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. It's one of the few times you can dress up in a costume and nobody thinks it's odd. I usually take this as an opportunity to dress up as characters from video games, cartoons/anime. Some costumes from the past are: Leela from Futurama, Aeris from FF7, a White Mage, Link from the Legend of Zelda, etc.  This year is no different.

So we had an office potluck which was a nice change of pace. Some of my co-workers dressed up which was awesome. I apparently didn't  need a costume though, since someone on the elevator actually asked me if I was wearing this dress as part of a costume or not. I said "Nope. These are just my everyday clothes, thanks for asking." He promptly got off the elevator. I don't  think dress is particularly costume-y at all, so I'm not sure what prompted that comment, other than the brightness. He's lucky he didn't see my real costume...



                                                       BOOM! Sailor V is for victory.

So Sailor Venus has always been my favorite Sailor Scout since I was a kid and I always wanted to have a scout costume. The problem? I hate wigs. I especially hate blonde wigs. I always look so ridiculous in them because of my rather pronounced eyebrows, which have gotten better over the years mind you. A friend of mine found these sailor scout costumes over the summer for sale online for 8 bucks!!! She promptly sent out an e-mail to all the friends she knew would have wanted in on this. I didn't see it right away but by the time I did, all that was left was Venus and Mercury. WIGS!!!! *cringe* Anyways, I figured I would at least go with my favorite. All I had to really worry about was the shoes, the red hair bow (which you can't see but it's there) and the wig. The shoes were on sale at Payless and I just spray painted them orange. I'm happy with the end result and I'm looking forward to at least wearing it briefly tomorrow at a friends party. Wigs are hella hot.

So back to my real clothes. This dress is from Mod Cloth. I had been eyeing if for awhile and it eventually went on sale. I had it sitting in my basket for ages until the dreaded "1 left!" popped up. I caved and decided to get it. The fabric is a lot shinier than I thought it would be, but it's actually a nice change to a lot of the cotton dresses out there. The problem though, when I order clothes, is the sleeves. I generally need an XL from places like Mod Cloth because of my chest. Not a big deal,I'm used to that by now, but because of this I run the risk of other parts being too big. This dress is a bit loose in the waist but a belt fixed that. The sleeves on the other had, are just too big. I wore the cardigan to cover it up, which worked fine. I figure once I wash it (just in case it shrinks), I'll ask Dave to maybe fix it for me since he's better at sewing than I am.

On a final note, I am sad to say that my beloved PS3 crapped out on me last night while I was watching Futurama on Netflix. It was 7 years old and I will miss it dearly.

Flower dress: Mod Cloth
Red cardigan: Joe Fresh
Bow belt: Anthropologie
Black cable knit tights: Ardene
Blue shoes: Dolce Vita

~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I love that you did Sailor V! Sailor Moon is the first anime that I ever got into at the ripe age of 8 years old. Fond memories, for sure!
    Cosplay is so much fun to do, I really wish that every weekend was cosplay weekend for the whole world! Mwhaha!

    ReplyDelete